A Clients Right to Fire and Replace a Personal Injury Lawyer

Do you feel like your lawyer never returns calls or answers your questions? Is he treating your case with the attention it deserves?

If you're unhappy with your lawyer for any reason, you have the right to make a change at any time. And here's the good news: it's easy and you will not pay any extra money for legal fees.

So What Do I Need To Know?

It's important to realize that you have the right to change attorneys at any time and for any reason or no reason. Whether you think your lawyer is doing a poor job or you are just not comfortable for any reason--perhaps the chemistry is just not there--then it may be time to find a new lawyer. Here is what you need to know:

1. You can change your attorney today—you have the right to terminate your lawyer's services without any notice if you are not happy for any reason. Find a new lawyer by browsing legal sites such as Nolo.com, asking friends for referrals and researching the web for coverage of local cases, testimonials from clients, and endorsements from other lawyers.

2. You never need to talk to your old lawyer again—not even to tell him he's no longer representing you. Your new lawyer should send your former attorney a letter to notify them that you have terminated their services and hired a new lawyer.

3. There is no extra fee or payment for changing lawyers. All lawyers who work on your case, if they are entitled to any payment, will share the fee from your initial agreement. You are not even involved in how they split the fee—they will need to work out an understanding or let a court will make the decision.

4. There should not be any delay in the processing of your case. If both lawyers are civil, then your old lawyer will send the file to the new lawyer and the case will continue.

Remember, as the client you are the boss and your lawyer works for you. If you're unhappy for any reason, whether your lawyer won't return calls, talks down to you or doesn't seem interested in your case, then it's time to find a new lawyer.