State Tax in Kansas

The state tax in Kansas has three tax rates – 3.5 per cent, 6.25 per cent and 6.45 per cent.

Tax Rates For Single Taxpayers Are as Follows -

  • 3.5 per cent on the first $15,000 of taxable income
  • 6.25 per cent on taxable income between $15,001 and $30,000
  • 6.45 per cent on taxable income of $30,001 and above

Tax Laws Governing Rates For Married Persons Filing Joint Returns Are as Follows -

  • Tax rates are the same, but the income brackets are doubled.

Who Must File -

  • Residents or non-residents who have an income from Kansas must file state tax in Kansas.
  • Any military person who declares Kansas to be his residence, even though he is stationed out of town must file state tax in Kansas.

The state taxation laws in Kansas dictate that income tax is due and payable on April 15th. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the date is extended to the following business day. It is important to file on time to avoid penalties and interest. If you cannot get your taxes filed on time, you have the option of requesting an extension from the state. It is important to get your extension application filed by April 15th to avoid penalties and interest for late filing. If you cannot pay the full balance, it is important to file on time and pay what you can. You will be billed for the balance, plus penalties and interest on the unpaid balance. Filing late will incur extra penalties and interest.

Those Who Are Exempt From State Tax in Kansas -

  • Social security benefits that are $50,000 or less are exempt from Kansas income tax.
  • Military pensions are non-taxable.
  • Federal civil service annuities are non-taxable.
  • Railroad retirement benefits are non-taxable.

Deductions are given for child care credit and earned income credit.

Kansas Tax Law States That Refunds Can Be Donated To Several Different Programs. They Include -

  • Non game wildlife protection program – This protects endangered species, monitors bald eagles and falcon nesting.
  • Breast Cancer Research – This supports research that is related to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer.
  • Military Relief Fund – This fund helps families of servicemen who are away. It provides help with food, housing, utilities and medical expenses while the person is on active duty. This is one of the best charities out there right now, as many military families really struggle to make ends meet.

Talk to a Tax Attorney

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Tax attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you