US Immigration

The Committee on the Judiciary's Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims, reported to the U.S. House of Representatives that the total population of foreign-born individuals living in the United States is over thirty million. According to the study, over 1.3 million people immigrate to the U.S. every year. These numbers reflect both legal and illegal immigrants but more importantly, they demonstrate the extent of the problem facing United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

U.S. Immigration law identifies an immigrant as an individual who is lawfully permitted to be in the U.S. and eligible for permanent residence (Green Card). People from all over the world yearn to immigrate to the U.S. for a multitude of reasons. Some people are drawn here by the promise of prosperity or a better way of life. Others desire the rights and freedoms that are available to all Americans. Yet others simply crave the opportunity to achieve positions not available to them in their home country.

An Immigration Lawyer can assist an individual seeking an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa with any of the following issues:

  • Interpreting law
  • Filing requests for citizenship, state residency, green card, etc.
  • Filing all immigration forms and petitions
  • Immigration Court Proceedings (Removal Proceedings)
  • NAFTA Applications
  • Family and Employment Immigration
  • Labor Certification

Some of the visas available to immigrants and nonimmigrants include:

  • Intra-Company Transferee (L-1) Petitions - for transfers of managers, executive and specialized knowledge personnel of a multinational company
  • Specialty Worker (H-1B) Petitions – for temporary employment in a specialty occupation or as a fashion model
  • Employment First Preference (E1) – for persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, outstanding professors or researchers, and certain executives and managers
  • Employment Second Preference (E2) – for professionals holding an advanced degree or a baccalaureate degree, or persons having a degree of expertise in the arts, sciences, or business
  • Employment Third Preference (E3) - For skilled workers, professionals with a baccalaureate degree, and other workers capable of filling positions requiring less than two years' training or experience
  • Employment Fourth Preference (E4) – for religious workers, certain overseas employees of the U.S. Government, former employees of the Panama Canal Company, retired employees of international organizations, certain dependents of international organization employees, and certain members of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Employment Fifth Preference (E5) – For employment creating investors that invest between $500,000 and $1,000,000 in a commercial enterprise and create at least 10 new full-time jobs in the U.S.
  • Temporary Business Visitor (B-1) Visas and Visitors for Pleasure or Medical Treatment (B-2) Visas
  • Legal Permanent Residence Status or Green Card

If you or a family member is seeking help with US immigration issues or if you have any questions about US immigration, you should contact a capable and knowledgeable immigration lawyer for help.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you