Immigration Visa

According to the U.S. Department of State, there are over 20 different types of nonimmigrant visas available to people traveling to the U.S. temporarily and even more immigrant visas for people looking to remain here permanently.

Generally, foreign nationals that want to apply for an immigration visa must be sponsored by a relative that is a U.S. citizen or by a prospective U.S. employer. Immediate relatives are not subject to limits on the number of family members they can claim under immigration law.

The most common immigrant visa categories include:

  • Immediate Relatives
  • Special Immigrants
  • Family-sponsored
  • Employer-sponsored
  • Adoption of a Child
  • Marriage
  • Diversity Visa
  • Employment Visa
  • Visitors Visa Visa

Each of these categories for immigrant visa has individual rules, requirements, and qualifications that must be met before an individual is granted a visa. Most family related and some employment related immigrant visas must provide an, "Affidavit of Support," form when submitting their application for permanent residence (Green Card). This form demonstrates that the applicant has adequate financial support in the U.S. by the petitioner or sponsor.

An immigrant visa indicates that an individual has been granted permission to come to the U.S. but it does not mean that the individual is granted entry into the U.S. All immigrants to the U.S. will be interviewed by the Department of Homeland Security upon arrival to the U.S. The interviewing officer will require inspection of the individual's immigrant visa and all the associated documentation required for entry.

An immigration lawyer can help you with any of the following:

  • Immigrant visa
  • Nonimmigrant visa
  • Green Card
  • Work permit
  • Student visa
  • Visas for exchange visitors
  • Visas for medical treatment
  • Tourist visa
  • Business visa

Regardless of the means by which you expect to gain your immigration visa, an immigration lawyer can prove to be an invaluable ally in your quest for permanent residence in the United States. A qualified immigration attorney will make sure that all the right documents are filed with your application and all the requirements set forth by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) are met.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you