Marriage in New York

You must have a valid ID. In New York, you can use many documents to fulfill this purpose, including driver's licenses, baptismal certificates, and life insurance policies. You will also need to provide information on any previous marriages, including whether or not you or your prospective spouse are divorced. Both parties must apply for a marriage license together.

A marriage license costs between $40 and $50 if it is given outside New York City. However, the license costs only $35 if it is acquired in New York City. There is a waiting period of 24 hours before a ceremony may be performed. No medical tests are required. New York city does not allow persons younger than 14 years old to get a marriage license. Persons who are between 14 and 15 years old may receive a marriage license if they each have the written consent of both parents. They will also need to have written consent from a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge from the town where they are making the application. For persons aged 16 to 17, written consent from both parents is required.

Closely related persons are not granted marriage licenses.

Important Information

A marriage license does not legally make two people married. The marriage is only legal after the license is signed by a member of the clergy or a justice of the peace. It is a good idea to apply for a marriage license one month before the date of the wedding ceremony. However, marriage licenses expire in New York after 60 days. You may need to send in tax documents and a birth certificate to be eligible for receiving a marriage license.

Surnames can be changed or remain the same, depending on the wishes of the bride and groom. There is no law that says both members must share a surname; however, if you wish to take your spouse's name, you can easily do so by signing with your new last name on the marriage license.

Who Can Perform the Ceremony?

In New York, you can have your wedding ceremony performed by a city clerk or deputy city clerk, a justice of a judge of certain courts, an officially ordained minister or clergyman who has authority to officiate over marriage ceremonies, a city mayor, and several other officiants. Any clergyman must have a physical place of worship to be eligible to perform marriage ceremonies.

Find a Lawyer

Start here to find family and divorce lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Family attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you