Marriage in Connecticut

Beginning your life as part of a married couple should be a joyous occasion, one filled with happiness and fun. It's up to you and whoever else is assisting you with the wedding planning to make sure that your marriage starts out on the right foot with a wonderful wedding. Don't make the mistake of neglecting to find out the details! Here are some of the necessary details you must know when planning a wedding in Connecticut.

Marriage License Requirements

It isn't essential that either member of the couple be a resident of Connecticut; however, it is necessary that the license application is done either in the Connecticut town in which one member lives or in the town in which the wedding will be held. The future bride and groom do not have to come to the Clerk's office at the same time to apply for the license if that is too difficult to schedule—as long as each comes to the office at some point, that is fine.

Here is what the Clerk's office will ask to see:

  • Photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport or military identification card
  • Each person's social security number
  • The maiden name of each person's mother
  • The birthplaces of each person's parents
  • The date and location of the wedding
  • The name and contact information of the wedding officiant
  • Divorce decree from any previous marriage (certified copy)
  • Death certificate from a previous spouse (certified copy)

The fees vary from county to county; however, Connecticut typically charges about $30 to $35. Most counties will not accept out-of-state checks or credit cards, so taking cash is the best idea.

Wedding Officiants

Judges, justices of the peace, ordained or licensed clergymen can perform weddings in Connecticut, as can Connecticut state referees and retired judges. However, couples may also opt to have a friend or relative perform their wedding. As long as an authorized officiator is at the wedding to confirm the ceremony and sign the license, this is perfectly acceptable.

Same-Sex Marriages

Connecticut does not allow same-sex marriages; however, same-sex couples can choose to become legal couples through civil unions. This ceremony is much like a marriage ceremony, yet instead of being wedded, couples are pronounced to be "partners in life". Civil unions may be performed at City Hall by the City Clerk for gay male couples or gay female couples.

Find a Lawyer

Start here to find family and divorce lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Family attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you