Cost depends on reputation, experience, and geographic location. The better the reputation, the greater the experience, and the more affluent the area, the higher the cost for a DUI lawyer. In addition, the below factors also dictate the cost of a DUI Lawyer.
1. Is the DUI a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. offense?
The more severe the charge the higher the potential penalty = the higher the DUI lawyer cost.
2. Is the defendant set on going to trial or is s/he looking for a negotiated plea agreement?
Going to trial takes time and resources = the higher the DUI lawyer cost.
3. Does the fee include representation for license suspension procedures?
Representation that includes both criminal defense of the DUI charge AND the administration license suspension procedures = the higher the DUI lawyer cost.
4. Is the fee fixed or an up front retainer and hourly rate?
A fixed fee costs more up front, but an hourly rate fee will cost more overall in the long run.
5. Is the DUI charge in the DUI lawyer's geographical area?
It will cost more selecting a lawyer to represent you that doesn't regularly practice in the geographical location of where the charge originated and/or has to make significant travel to represent the client.