Workers Compensation Laws in Iowa

There are some jobs where accidents can occur. Some of these accidents are so severe that they result in death. There are safety rules in effect but at times, it may be that no safety rules can completely prevent the possibility of death, only greatly lessen the chances. If a death does unfortunately occur, you or your loved ones do have recompense.

Workers compensation laws insist there are benefits to be provided in the even of employee death to the employee's family. This might include a burial bonus to cover burial expenses, and a short period where the compensation covers a certain percentage of what the employee earned. However, this will not continue indefinitely unless prior arrangements were made, and alternate forms of income will need to be found.

Collecting Your Pay in Iowa

If you are injured due to a work accident, you will be away from your job for a time healing. During this period, you are entitled to the earnings you would have made if it had not been for the accident. These earnings should be reported by both you and your employer. Adequate reports need to be filed and procedure followed through your employer to claim your paycheck.

If your employer does not pay you, then it is time to consider legal action. These monies are important for you in helping to take care of your family and should be released to you as soon as is possible. If you are unsure of how to proceed, first seek legal counsel and go from there.

Understand the Legalities

The legalities of workers compensation laws fall on understanding that it was created to help both the employee and employer. In order to take advantage of the services offered, you must complete all appropriate paperwork, including what transpired when you injured yourself. You are also required to inform your employer of your injury, in order to receive compensation, and you must keep him or her informed during the process of being checked out by a physician.

The laws exist to protect your rights. If you feel your rights are being violated, you should discuss this with your employer. If you feel that your employer is the one violating your rights, you should consult a lawyer who specializes in workers compensation. Remember that the laws are there to assist you, but you must also do your part and respect the law.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to an Employment Rights attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you