Real Estate in Oklahoma

In the laws surrounding real estate in Oklahoma property is known as the ownership of something which may be possessed by someone else and used with exclusion to other people.  Real property, then, is either land or that which is attached directly to the land and cannot be moved by the law.  In Oklahoma, as in many other states, it is possible for one person to own the title to the physical property of the land and house, while another can hold the title to the mineral rights which are found within the land.  This can happen because the land is considered to be technically separate from the minerals which are found underneath it, and therefore it can be broken apart and treated as two different types of properties.

Understanding Easement

Most people who are considering buying real estate in Oklahoma may not realize that because of the Uniform Conservation Easement Act that surrounding the borders of their physical property there is a certain limitation of land that is considered an easement.  This land technically belongs to the city even while you maintain it and pay taxes on it.  Many times the easement is never touched; however, if a city sidewalk is to be installed or the roads widened, then you have to let them use that land to do so.  This also means that you cannot build any permanent structure on top of the easement.  So, if you plan to do any renovations, it’s important to make sure you know where your easement lies.

Landlord and Tenant Issues

When discussing real estate in Oklahoma, it is also important to note the laws that surround the legal relationship between and rights that exist between a landlord and a tenant as defined by the law of the state.  For example, a landlord may enter the property which a tenant rents from them for any reason to inspect the property as long as three days’ notice is given and this stipulation is mentioned somewhere in the contract or lease which the tenant knowingly signed.  Also, if for any reason a landlord wishes to evict a tenant either for nonpayment or because the lease has expired on the property, then they can do so after serving notice to the tenant that they have at least thirty days in which to relocate.