Marriage in Washington

So, you have decided to get married and you are doing it in the state of Washington. The first thing you need to do is apply for a marriage license. You need ID to apply for this, and among the documents you should take with you are a valid driver's license and your birth certificate and/or a passport. Both the bride and the groom need to be present when applying for this marriage license and you must remember that you do not have to be a resident of Washington in order to apply for a marriage license and then get married there. There is no blood necessary when applying for your marriage license, however there is a fee of $52.

Getting Married Under the age of 18:

If you are planning to get married, and the bride and/or the groom are under the age of 18, there are special details that need to be taken into account. First of all, if the applicants are aged 17 or 18, then a parent or legal guardian must sign consent for them to get married. They must be present when applying for the marriage license. If the parties are under the age of 17, a superior court judge in the county that one of the applicants live, must waive the age requirement. The waiver notice, plus proof of identification and age must be provided when applying for the marriage license.

Last Minute Things to Consider:

Once you have your marriage license and all is in order, you have 60 days before the license runs out. Therefore it is probably a good idea to apply for this license about a month before your plans to marry. If you have obtained your license in the state of Washington, then you can only use it to get married within this state. You do not have to be a resident of Washington to get married in the state and there is a three day waiting time. Once all of the above has been completed and considered, you are therefore free to get married within the state of Washington and although there are things to consider after this, such as the certificates needing to be sent to the county auditor within 30 days of the wedding by the Minister, you should find there are no other problems with your marriage.