Marriage in Texas

Applying for a marriage license in Texas is fairly straight forward. You will definitely need some form of ID to get your marriage license. You may use a driver’s license, a certified birth certificate, or some other form of ID granted by the U.S. or another country.

You must provide your Social Security card or have your Social Security Number memorized. For women who want to keep their maiden name, a certified copy of the birth certificate is required. Divorced women must present a certified copy of the divorce decree that will state that the maiden name is to be used.

You do not have to reside in Texas to get a marriage license from this state.

Divorced persons who have had their divorce finalized during the past 30 days must present a certified copy of the divorce decree that waives the usual waiting period of 30 days.

You and your future spouse will need to show up in person to fill out the application, although you need not be together. In the state of Texas, absent persons may finish some pieces of the form via absentee application.

There is a fee of $36 or more, which can be paid for in cash.

Who May Get a Marriage License?

In the state of Texas, you may be married by proxy; this occurs when one member of the marriage is unable to attend and a substitute stand in for him or her. Texas does not legally recognize common law marriage, which is cohabitation without the benefit of a marriage ceremony. Marrying a cousin is not allowed. Same sex marriage is not legal in Texas.

A person under the age of 18 must have parents present at the application process.

Important Legal Information

There are no blood tests required. There is a waiting period of three days before the license becomes valid, but this time can be waived through military service if the person is on active duty.

Any minister of the gospel and any Jewish rabbi is allowed to officiate over wedding ceremonies. The minister or rabbi is required to be 18 years of age or older. The minister will be required to sign the marriage license and give it back to the county court clerk by 3 days after the wedding ceremony.

Along with the marriage license application, each partner must now submit a notarized statement about child support. It needs to be signed and filled out in front of two witnesses and a notary public. The application will not be fulfilled unless this document is submitted.

If you may need legal assistance , consult with a Family Attorney in your area to receive a free case review.