Modification of Divorce Decree

Do you know that you can modify your divorce decree after you have been divorce even for years?  Most people think once they agree to something during the pendancy of their divorce, that is final and they cannot do anything about them.

Modification of Child Custody

In Oklahoma, a divorce decree can be modified regarding custody of the minor children if there is a permanent, substantial and material change in circumstances since the entry of the final order which adversely affects the best interests of the child and which makes it in the best interests to modify the custody orders. For example, if mom was awarded custody of the child during the divorce.  Now, the children are not doing so well in school, they are tardy to class all the time, they are getting into trouble at school and or with the law.  The children are not thriving with mom, and then Dad can seek to modify the custody order, because clearly, mom cannot take care of the children hence the problems at school and with the law.  Another example, Mom was awarded custody of the children during the divorce, now mom is on drugs or operating or selling drugs out of her home, she of course has no time for the children and she is putting the children is a dangerous situation. Dad can seek to modify the custody order, requesting that he be granted custody of the children, subject to mom's supervised visitation.  Why do I say supervised, because mom is not able to take care of the children on her own, depending on drug of choice.  Please call an attorney to discuss this matter further if any of these situations are applicable to you.